The Sydney Harbour Federation Trust was established on 20 September 2001 by section five of the Sydney Harbour Trust Act 2001. To view the full Act check the ComLaw website
The Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities The Hon. Tony Burke MP, is the responsible minister.
The objects of the Harbour Trust as set out under section six of the legislation are:
- to ensure that management of Trust land contributes to enhancing the amenity of the Sydney Harbour region;
- to protect, conserve and interpret the environmental and heritage values of Trust land;
- to maximise public access to Trust land;
- to establish and manage suitable Trust land as a park on behalf of the Commonwealth as the national government;
- to co-operate with other Commonwealth bodies that have a connection with any Harbour land in managing that land;
- to co-operate with New South Wales, affected councils and the community in furthering the above objects.
To provide a lasting legacy for the people of Australia by helping to create the finest foreshore park in the world and provide places that will greatly enrich the cultural life of the city and the nation.