The funding announced today is a vote of confidence in the work of the Harbour Trust in making these significant lands accessible to all Australians and sharing their vast and varied history. We are very pleased to have the strong support of Minister Ley in this important ongoing work.
The funding will support vital safety and remediation works across all sites such as:
- Restoration and conservation of the WWII gun emplacements, observations posts and tunnels at the historic North Fort.
- Restoration works to the exterior of Building 1 Other Ranks Mess at North Head.
- Restoration and conservation of the Greenway Stonewall at Macquarie Lighthouse.
- Repair and restoration works at the historic Retort Building at Sub Base Platypus.
- Wharf and pontoon upgrades at Woolwich Dock.
- Repairs and safety works for the industrial cranes on Cockatoo Island.
- Upgrades to roofs and gutters, and make safe works to windows, at the Industrial Precinct (including the Turbine Hall) on Cockatoo Island.
- Fire safety upgrades across multiple sites including North Head and Headland Park.
These measures are terrific and much needed as part of the Harbour Trust’s future plans for our sites. We will continue to work with the Minister and the Department as we move to implement the recommendations of the Independent Review of the Harbour Trust.